Thank you to Karena Lofton for sharing this recipe in the Mavens group (which she says is always a crowd favorite)!
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon orange juice *brings out flavor*
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees
- Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt)
- Cream the butter and 1 cup sugar
- Add the egg and beat until fully incorporated
- Add the orange juice and molasses (I use light molasses) until combined
- Add in the dry ingredients in small batches until just combined
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours. If you can’t, at least put it in the freezer for a half an hour.
- In about 2 tablespoon balls, roll into the 1/4 cup sugar and flatten so it looks like the thickness of a double stuff Oreo, really thick but clearly flattened.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes
This article is part of our Maven Magazine. For more Maven Magazine articles, click here.